FINRA warns of Ebola scams

first_img NASAA approves model act for establishing restitution funds Keywords Investor protectionCompanies Financial Industry Regulatory Authority “News coverage of Ebola and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) is likely to catch the interest of ‘pump and dump’ scammers looking to capitalize on fears of a potential pandemic,” said Gerri Walsh, FINRA’s senior vice president for investor education. “Investors should be very cautious of any company that claims it is poised for dramatic growth as a result of a purported cure or treatment for high-profile viral diseases.” The alert includes tips for spotting and avoiding investment scams, and it asks that investors who are targeted by promotions containing exaggerated or misleading claims to contact FINRA. Facebook LinkedIn Twitter Share this article and your comments with peers on social media OSC finalizes DSC bancenter_img The spread of the Ebola virus in West Africa has apparently not escaped the notice of stock fraudsters, according to U.S. regulators, who have issued an investor alert warning about new scams connected to that news event. The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Thursday published a new investor alert warning investors about promotions touting stocks in companies that claim to provide products that protect against the spread of viruses, or other harmful diseases. FINRA says that it is aware of several potential investment scams involving companies that claim to be involved in the development of products that will prevent the spread of viral diseases. Retail trading surge on regulators’ radar, Vingoe says Related news James Langton last_img read more

Orange brand debuts in Sierra Leone

first_img AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 18 OCT 2017 Home Orange brand debuts in Sierra Leone Previous ArticleNokia, Bosch to deliver industrial IoT products in 2018Next ArticleFossil targets women with latest hybrid watches OrangeSierra Leone Author Steve Costello Español Orange makes secure cloud pact for French marketcenter_img Tags Las grandes operadoras europeas ponen condiciones a las RAN abiertas Steve works across all of Mobile World Live’s channels and played a lead role in the launch and ongoing success of our apps and devices services. He has been a journalist…More Read more Orange launched its brand in Sierra Leone, following its acquisition of Airtel’s business in the country, with the company talking up the potential for the business within its African operations.“As part of Orange, it will gain access to the Group’s expertise, technical know-how and an extensive product and service portfolio. With its considerable presence on the African continent, a strategic focus for the group, Orange offers strong growth potential for its Sierra Leonean operation,” the company said in a statement.Sierra Leone’s population stands at around 7 million people and offers a “significant potential for growth in mobile services”. Earlier this year, Orange Sierra Leone revealed a modernisation and expansion plan to enhance the reliability, coverage and quality of its network, and invested $33 million since the acquisition.Sekou Drame, CEO of Orange Sierra Leone, said: “The launch of the Orange brand comes with a promise to meet the emerging needs of customers with innovative, affordable and relevant solutions that will empower consumers, giving them the freedom to do what they choose and provide them with the tools to meet life’s daily challenges.”According to GSMA Intelligence, Orange’s new venture will have around 1.6 million total connections in the country, making it the second largest player behind Africell (Lintel), which counts 3.7 million connections. Smaller players Smart Mobile (Intergroup Telecom) and Sierratel rank a distant third and fourth, with 310,000 and 148,000 connections respectively.Orange first revealed its plan to acquire Airtel Sierra Leone in January 2016, a deal it completed in July 2016, in partnership with Senegal-based partner Sonatel. Orange counts 50 million customers in 16 countries across Sub-Saharan Africa. Orange Ventures injects €30M into new fund Relatedlast_img read more

Two UK football players set to transfer

first_imgHead coach Mark Stoops during the University of Kentucky Football fan day at the Nutter Field House in Lexington, Ky., on Saturday August 8, 2015. Photo by Mike WeaverHead coach Mark Stoops during the University of Kentucky Football fan day at the Nutter Field House in Lexington, Ky., on Saturday August 8, 2015. Photo by Mike WeaverLEXINGTON, Ky. – The Ohio talent pipeline has been good to Kentucky football since Mark Stoops and his staff took over after the 2012 season, but two of the Wildcats’ earliest recruiting wins in the Buckeye State are now leaving the program.A school spokesman confirmed Monday that cornerback Jaleel Hytchye, the first player from Ohio who committed to Stoops at UK, and linebacker Dorian Hendrix, the fourth player from the state to pick the Cats and first member of their 2014 recruiting class, are both transferring. Neither was a projected starter and each spent time with the third string in preseason practices.Hytchye, a third-year sophomore from Cincinnati, played in eight games – starting one – but only made nine tackles in 2013. He appeared in just one game last fall. Out of high school, his long list of scholarship offers included Arizona State, Boston College, Louisville, Penn State, Pittsburgh and Tennessee.Hendrix, a redshirt freshman from Huber Heights, Ohio, sat out last season despite enrolling in January of 2014 and participating in spring football. He was rated the No. 25 inside linebacker recruit in the country by Rivals.com.The Wildcats have now lost five touted prospects from the Buckeye State since June: Hytchye, Hendrix and offensive linemen Josh Krok, Josh Richardson and Marcelys Jones. Krok and Richardson both plan to transfer and Jones was kicked off the team for an unspecified violation of team rules shortly after transferring in from Ohio State.Kyle Tucker can be reached at (502) 582-4361. Follow him on Twitter @KyleTucker_CJ.last_img read more

Twelve Ravens thoughts on Flacco trade to Denver

first_imgWith the Ravens set to trade longtime quarterback Joe Flacco to Denver for a fourth-round pick next month, I’ve offered a dozen thoughts, each in 50 words or less:1. Credit Eric DeCosta for extracting value from an inevitable divorce, especially after the organization hadn’t even tried to be coy about its intentions. I was skeptical he’d find a trade partner. Taking the entire $16 million dead money hit in 2019 will leave a clean salary cap for 2020.2. Flacco will be remembered in part for what he never became — below-average post-Super Bowl numbers bear that out — but he was the best quarterback in team history and, most importantly, a champion. The Ravens are lucky he passed their way after years wasted in the quarterback doldrums.3. It’s easy to say Flacco didn’t live up to his historic contract signed after his 2012 postseason, but the organization never adjusted upon seeing he couldn’t do it by himself, continuing to prioritize defense and putting far fewer resources into the offense. The letdown was mutual at the very least.4. He’d never admit something that’s subconscious anyway, but I don’t think Flacco has recovered mentally from his 2015 ACL injury. Some free-agent departures on the offensive line didn’t help, but his tendencies to check down and feel pressure even when it wasn’t there became more pronounced after the injury.5. The Ravens dumping Anquan Boldin remains indefensible six years later, but the post-Super Bowl fall of Ray Rice was even more devastating to Flacco’s career considering what he produced as a receiver out of the backfield. Baltimore still hasn’t come close to replacing that element.6. Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, and Haloti Ngata are among the best Ravens ever, but they didn’t own a single playoff win until 2008. Flacco benefited greatly from them too, of course, but you wonder what could have been if he’d come along five years earlier instead of Kyle Boller.7. Of the Ravens’ 17 Day 1 and 2 draft picks from 2013-17, Crockett Gillmore, Breshad Perriman, Maxx Williams, and Ronnie Stanley were the only offensive players selected. Flacco’s hefty contract never explained that.8. Durability was one of Flacco’s biggest strengths early in his career, but injuries have either disrupted his preparation or cost him games in each of the last four seasons. It’s tough seeing that trend improving as the 34-year-old enters his 12th year in the NFL.9. I never understood the criticism of Flacco not making his receivers better. Steve Smith and Mike Wallace became 1,000-yard receivers again after appearing to be in decline elsewhere. Torrey Smith’s numbers crashed as soon as he departed. Who are these former Ravens receivers who suddenly blossomed elsewhere?10. It’s strange to think exactly six years, two months, and one day after the “Mile High Miracle,” the Broncos will officially welcome Flacco to Denver. I’m guessing Rahim Moore and Jacoby Jones won’t be at the introductory press conference.11. Flacco didn’t perform to his record contract, but he remained a good teammate and never complained about the aforementioned variables that didn’t help his cause. Yes, he made a ton of money, but that hasn’t stopped other high-priced athletes from being malcontents over the years.12. What would you really change about the Flacco era? The Ravens weren’t letting the Super Bowl MVP walk, and he had extraordinary contract leverage. The success early in his career should far outweigh the last several years in which he and Baltimore remained competitive but weren’t quite good enough.last_img read more