Flamengo chief Braz confirms they want to keep hold of Inter Milan striker Gabigolby Carlos Volcano7 hours agoSend to a friendShare the loveFlamengo vice-president Marcos Braz has confirmed they want to keep hold of Gabriel Barbosa.Gabigol is on-loan at Fla from Inter Milan.“Conversations for his stay are underway, but it’s still too early,” Braz told Lance.“We’ve started talking to his agents. I don’t think there will be any problems if he wants to stay.“Flamengo will make a strong and satisfying proposal. We’ll make every effort to keep him.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
BAKER LAKE, Nunavut – The sister of a Nunavut man who died of a stroke after RCMP put him in a jail cell thinking he was drunk wants police to learn from their mistake.“They mishandled him, just thought of him as a drunk and we didn’t know him to drink,” Mercy Kayuryuk said Wednesday about her brother Paul. “I hope they do better.”A Nunavut coroner’s inquest report recommends training for Mounties and civilian jail guards to challenge assumptions about intoxication and alcohol use in Inuit communities.The report into the October 2012 death of Paul Kayuryuk says police assumed he was drunk when he was found at a landfill in Baker Lake.RCMP placed him in a cell until he could be released on his own. But three different guards became increasingly concerned. The following day Kayuryuk was sent for a medical exam after another officer checked with his family.A physician and nurses at the Baker Lake Health Centre quickly determined that he was suffering a serious stroke.Relatives told nursing staff that he also had diabetes and he was sent by air ambulance to a Winnipeg hospital for treatment.Kayuryuk died from complications from the stroke two weeks later on Oct. 29. Mercy Kayuryuk believes her brother was 57.“The Royal Canadian Mounted Police V Division will, within the next year, use the circumstances of this inquest in training to ensure officers and civilian guards are encouraged to challenge assumptions about alcohol use and intoxication in Inuit communities,” reads one of the reports 17 recommendations.“This includes training to listen carefully and inquire further into information offered by community and family members about persons suspected of intoxication.”The report says this could include cultural sensitivity training.RCMP were not immediately available for comment.The findings of the Nunavut corner’s inquest follow recommendations from a review done in the Northwest Territories earlier this year into the death last August of Hugh Papik, 67, in Aklavik, N.W.T.Papik had suffered a stroke but staff at his care home called his family and told them to pick him up because he was drunk.The elder had a history of heart problems but not of drinking. Local health officials didn’t do a medical check.His family persuaded medical staff to fly him to hospital in Yellowknife. He was later declared brain dead and was taken off life support.The N.W.T. government said it has accepted recommendations in Papik’s death, including conducting cultural training for non-Indigenous staff and recruiting Indigenous health-care workers and first responders.Last March, Health Minister Glen Abernethy said the N.W.T. government wants to break down such “systemic racism.”Mercy Kayuryuk said police must do more to connect with people in Baker Lake and not make assumptions. She suggested the Mounties who were involved with her brother five years ago could have been prejudice.Since then, she said police in Baker Lake seem to be reaching out more to learn their names and about their culture.“I know the cops are doing the best,” she said. “We look up to the people who come here.”— By John Cotter in Edmonton
A Canadian Press story on Aug. 3, 2019, based on information from a senior conservation biologist for the Canadian Wildlife Federation, stated that the last time a right whale was seen in a shipping lane was on July 23. In fact, Transport Canada said the last time a right whale was seen in one of the designated shippings zones was May 17, 2019.The Canadian Press
OSU senior goalkeeper Chris Froschauer (32) kicks the ball during a game against Cleveland State on Oct. 21 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU won 1-0. Credit: Christopher Slack, Lantern PhotographerThe Ohio State men’s soccer team rebounded after a slow start to win the regular-season Big Ten title. Now, two of its players have received a personal accolade to go along with the team title. On Friday, it was announced that OSU senior defender Liam Doyle was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, while senior goalkeeper Chris Froschauer was awarded Goalkeeper of the Year for the conference.Doyle and Froschauer, along with a fellow Buckeye in senior forward Kyle Culbertson, were voted onto the first-team all-Big Ten, as well.After transferring to OSU from Cincinnati State, Doyle has made his mark on the program. The Isle of Man, United Kingdom, native started every game last season before being named a co-captain for the 2015 season.Doyle, who was also first-team all-Big Ten in 2014, was a critical cog to the OSU backline that surrendered just six conference goals this season. The senior, who was a unanimous first-team selection, also chipped in two goals of his own— one of which was a game-winner against Indiana on Oct. 10 — while registering six assists.After leading the Big Ten in save percentage with a mark of .805 and tallying eight clean sheets in 2015, the Goalkeeper of the Year award is a fitting way for Froschauer to cap off his final collegiate campaign.Like Doyle, Froschauer also began his career elsewhere. The Union, Kentucky, native transferred to OSU after being the starting goalie for Dayton for three seasons. Froschauer won Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week four times during OSU’s run to capture the regular-season title.The top-seeded Buckeyes are set to kick off play in the conference tournament on Sunday at 4 p.m. on the turf of Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU is scheduled to face the winner of No. 8 Michigan State vs. No. 9 Penn State.
After nearly a month on the road, the No. 9 Ohio State men’s volleyball team was happy to finally be back home at St. John Arena this weekend. The Buckeyes (20-6, 11-2 MIVA) returned from the long road trip and swept Princeton (3-17) in the two-game series. On Friday, OSU jumped out early over the seemingly overwhelmed Tigers in the first two sets, 25-17, 25-18, to take a 2-0 lead. Although many of the fans expected the Buckeyes to complete the sweep, Princeton would not go down easily. The Tigers rallied to take the next two sets, 22-25, 22-25, to stun OSU and send the match into a deciding fifth set. “Princeton played a pesky game of volleyball,” OSU coach Pete Hanson said. Hanson, who had gone with a deeper-than-normal rotation for the match, looked back toward his senior leaders to get the job done. “We had some older guys and fifth-year seniors to fall back on,” Hanson said. “Ultimately we were stronger at the end.” The Buckeyes jumped to an 8-2 lead and ultimately to the set and match with a 15-9 victory. OSU was led by fifth-year senior Jason Tobkin, who had nine kills and an OSU-record eight aces for the match, and junior Shawn Sangrey, who also contributed nine kills. “I wouldn’t say that happens too often,” Tobkin said of his performance. “It was more serves of frustration and determination to keep momentum on our side.” OSU outhit Princeton .357 to .266 and had a 63-52 margin in kills for the match. OSU rebounded from its close call the previous night with a 3-0 sweep of the Tigers on Saturday. The Buckeyes opened up the match by taking the first two sets, 25-18, 25-20, with relative ease much like the night before. But instead of letting Princeton get back in the game, the Buckeyes came out with a fiery determination. OSU rolled over the Tigers, 25-12, in the third set, completing the sweep for the day and the weekend. A big difference for the match was OSU’s play at the net, where it outblocked the Tigers, 10-2. Fifth-year senior Kevin Heine led the effort with a match-high five blocks to go along with his 10 kills. For the match, OSU outhit the Tigers again .548 to .087 and had a 39-28 margin in kills. The Buckeyes’ success came to end on Sunday. OSU fell 3-1 (25-21, 18-25, 25-19, 25-9) to No. 10 Penn State. The Buckeyes are back on the road again this weekend as they travel to George Mason and St. Francis to close out their regular season.
Roberto Mancini believes Chelse midfielder Jorginho can “improve physically and technically” at Chelsea.The former Manchester City manager thinks that Jorginho will be an even better player at Stamford Bridge, and has hailed the player’s ability. Football Italia reports.Mancini is the new Italy national team coach and will be in charge of his first game when the Azzurri plays against Poland in the UEFA Nations League on September 7 and against Portugal on September 10.“Marco’s problem is he is not fully fit and I hope he can recover quickly. Jorginho was one of the best midfielders in Europe while at Napoli, so playing at Chelsea will improve him even more, both physically and technically.”There is a midfield issue for Italy, while Jorginho seems to be flourishing at Chelsea, whereas Marco Verratti has impressed at Paris Saint-Germain.The former Napoli playmaker has started his Chelsea career in great fashion, scoring on his Premier League debut, and being influential in the middle of the pitch.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.And just like in Italy, he has continued his impressive passing stats in England.
On his autobiography, Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard revealed the time he spoke to Brendan Rodgers about bringing Mario Balotelli to the squad.Out of all the surreal Mario Balotelli adventures, the one he lived at Liverpool where Steven Gerrard captained was perhaps the strangest one.The Italian striker was brought in by manager Brendan Rodgers during his final season as the club’s boss, he came in as a gamble back in 2014 and left after only 14 matches without leaving a lasting impression.The skipper was the first one who knew about the player’s arrival through manager Brendan Rodgers, Stevie explained what that moment was like on his 2016 book called ‘My Story’ which tells the tale of Gerrard’s incredible career as a footballer.But in this time he was at Liverpool during all those years, the captain had never experienced a player as irresponsible as Mario Balotelli and yet as talented as he was.His combination of both things was a perfect cocktail for disaster which made him last only a year at Liverpool, as manager Jürgen Klopp didn’t even bother to keep him and quickly sent him to AC Milan where he kept playing poorly until he went to Nice to revive his career.But Balotelli may never reach his true potential, and Steven Gerrard has the explanation of why this is on this passage from his autobiography where he describes Balotelli’s personality perfectly.Brendan Rodgers walked up to Steven Gerrard and said: “I’m taking a gamble and the gamble is Mario Balotelli…”Steven Gerrard’s response was priceless! 😅👏 https://t.co/ykPkRBNYKc— SPORTbible (@sportbible) November 16, 2018“In my last season, Brendan Rodgers came to me at Melwood one day in mid-August. We had a chat on the training pitch,” wrote Gerrard.“He said, ‘You know we’ve missed out on a couple of signings. I’m basically left with no option but to have a bit of a gamble.’ Brendan paused before he spoke again: ‘The gamble is Mario Balotelli.’ My instant reaction was, ‘Uh-oh.’”Mourinho: “Lionel Messi made me a better coach” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho believes the experience of going up against Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi at Real Madrid made him a greater coach.“I’d never met Balotelli but I’d heard all the stories about the indoor fireworks and Jose Mourinho describing him as an ‘unmanageable’ player. I could see that, in the right mood, he was a quality footballer but the rest of his career seemed like a spectacular waste of talent. That was my opinion of Balotelli.”“There was no friction between us. We got on fine. I still tried to help him and I kept looking for chances to praise him.”“But I could see Mourinho had been right when he said Balotelli is unmanageable. He is very talented with the potential to be world class, but he’ll never get there because of his mentality and the people around him.”“Balotelli’s always late, he always wants attention, he says the wrong things on social media. For me, he doesn’t work hard enough on a daily basis. You’re always fighting a losing battle with Balotelli. He does too many things wrong,” he added.What do you make of these quotes from Stevie, Reds? 🤔https://t.co/TC2QGQHsuG— Anfield HQ (@AnfieldHQ) November 15, 2018The best moment that Mario Balotelli had throughout his whole career, was back in 2012 when he reached the European Championship final for Italy as the top player in the squad alongside Andrea Pirlo.Another great moment for him was when he gave Sergio Agüero the assist that gave Manchester City that thrilling Premier League title in 2012, which coincidentally was also the year in which he played his best football for his national team.Other than that, Balotelli has never lived up to the expectations despite his obviously great talent and may never show us what he is really capable of with a little bit of discipline.In world football, there are players who simply weren’t made to follow the rules, one of them is Mario Balotelli.Why do you think Mario Balotelli doesn’t like to follow the rules? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.
Dye will be attending the conference until March 1, representing the City of Kenai Fire Department and the Kenai Airport.