Actor Eddie Marsan calls Corbyn ‘ignorant or antisemite’

first_img whatsapp Share General Election: Film star Eddie Marsan calls Jeremy Corbyn ‘either an antisemite or ignorant’ Umunna also pointed to the party’s problem with antisemitism as justification for pressing ahead with fielding a replacement candidate in Canterbury, after Tim Walker stood down to avoid splitting the Remain vote.  “It feels good,” he added. “Like a political enema.” Main image credit: Getty Images “There are two fundamental issues – is the Labour party a Remain party, and also, you cannot disassociate yourself from the platform where you’re standing,” he said.  Catherine Neilan She added: “You can get it wrong once, twice at a push, but the number of examples that we know about is unacceptable.” Both candidates also attacked the Conservatives for failing to grapple with Islamophobia and facilitating the rise of nationalism by co-opting the Brexit Party. Read more: Chuka Umunna interview: Labour’s former star on why he wants a City seat for the Lib Dems Asked whether she thought Corbyn was antisemitic or ignorant, Berger – who is standing in Finchley and Golders Green – said she could only “judge by his actions” and that he had “indulged in antisemitic activity”.  Happy-Go-Lucky actor Eddie Marsan has attacked Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn as “either an antisemite, or ignorant” at a Liberal Democrats event today.  Umunna also stood by the party’s decision to launch disciplinary action against Walker, insisting he had gone public before notifying Lib Dem HQ.  Read more: Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party refuses to pull out of Labour seats in election Labour-turned-Lib Dem candidates Chuka Umunna and Luciana Berger bemoaned Corbyn and his team for having taken a position that “protected” antisemitism, rather than weeding it out. Read more: Jeremy Corbyn questions why Isis leader was killed and not arrested whatsapp The actor, who has campaigned against anti-Jewish racism, told supporters and journalists that despite voting for Labour since the 1980s he would back the Lib Dems in 2019. Boris Johnson was personally criticised for “dog whistle politics”, with Umunna recalling the Prime Minister’s use of phrases including “picanninies” with watermelon smiles”.  Thursday 14 November 2019 1:33 pm Tags: General election 2019last_img read more

Government faces lawsuit over £250m PPE contract with US jewellery firm

first_imgThe government is facing legal action after awarding a £250m contract for personal protective equipment (PPE) to an American jewellery company with no experience producing healthcare equipment. Share Poppy Wood Tags: Coronavirus by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksYou May LikeAll Things Auto | Search AdsMost Affordable Camper VansAll Things Auto | Search AdsBetterBe20 Stunning Female AthletesBetterBeBigGlobalTravelCelebrities That Are Still Married TodayBigGlobalTravelOne-N-Done | 7-Minute Workout7 Minutes a Day To a Flat Stomach By Using This 1 Easy ExerciseOne-N-Done | 7-Minute WorkoutMoneyPailShe Was A Star, Now She Works In ScottsdaleMoneyPailDrivepedia30+ Funny Photos Of Car Owners Having A Rough DayDrivepediaGameday NewsMichael Oher Tells A Whole Different Story About ‘The Blind Side’Gameday NewsBrake For It40 New Features In The 2021 Ford BroncoBrake For ItPost FunGreat Songs That Artists Are Now Embarrassed OfPost Fun The UK government also paid a Spanish go-between £21m to procure PPE Also Read: Government faces lawsuit over £250m PPE contract with US jewellery firm The Good Law Project, established by barrister Jolyon Maugham, claims the contract was offered without any advertisement or competitive tender process.  Show Comments ▼ The UK government also paid a Spanish go-between £21m to procure PPE In June, City A.M. reported that the government awarded £108m to a pest control company with just 16 staff and zero experience in providing PPE.  Shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves slammed the revelations as “completely astounding”, and urged the government to provide “more transparency” on its procurement procedures. Government faces lawsuit over £250m PPE contract with US jewellery firm The Good Law Project today filed legal proceedings against the government over its multimillion-pound deal with Saiger LLC to provide equipment such as gowns and face masks to the NHS. Jewellery designer Michael Saiger set up his business earlier this year (via Getty Images) Saiger LLC said: “At the height of the pandemic, and at a time when the NHS was in need of high-quality PPE that met the required safety standards, we delivered for Britain, on time and at value. Saiger capitalised on his experience of working with factories in China to land what he described as “a number of lucrative contracts” supplying protective gloves and gowns to the NHS.  “At last we can all see — in simple black and white — the staggering sums flowing from public coffers to private pockets,” said Maugham. “We consider the award of this contract, as with so many others this government has entered into, to be unlawful. If the answers from government aren’t good enough, and we expect they won’t be, we will issue proceedings”.  whatsapp It comes after Miami-based jewellery designer Michael Saiger earlier this year set up his own business to supply PPE to governments around the world as the pandemic tightened its grip across health services.  More than £21m of UK taxpayer cash was paid to a Spanish businessman tapped by Saiger to act as a go-between to secure the protective garments. The government later backtracked on official documents detailing the £108m award, saying it reported the sum “in error” and that the contract was actually worth £32m. The health department was approached for comment.  The DHSC has awarded at least five other multi-million pound contracts to Saiger for the supply of PPE, totalling more than £250m.  “We have few full-time staff so for large projects we bring in short-term contractors for additional expertise and capacity, allowing us to deliver what is needed.” Gabriel Gonzalez Andersson was recruited to help with “procurement, logistics, due diligence, product sourcing and quality control” of the PPE equipment, documents filed in a US court have revealed. The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) in June awarded the Florida-based firm £70.5m to procure 10.2m gowns to the NHS — approximately the entire number of gowns used by NHS England for the duration of the coronavirus pandemic. Tuesday 17 November 2020 2:37 pm The government has faced mounting pressure to reveal its process of awarding lucrative PPE contracts in the initial months of the pandemic, as the UK scrambled to find sufficient levels of protective equipment for the NHS.  whatsapplast_img read more

What a catch! Investors splash out on fish tackle float

first_imgMonday 1 June 2015 12:05 am Share Show Comments ▼ whatsapp whatsapp FISHING Republic reeled in the investors for its flotation on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM), today announcing that it has landed £1.5m in an initial public offering (IPO), which values the firm at roughly £3.6m. It is the first ever flotation of a tackle shop. The firm, established by chief executive Steve Gross (pictured), who started selling equipment as a 13-year-old, has seven stores across the north of England. Video Carousel – cityam_native_carousel – 426 00:00/00:50 LIVERead More Ad Unmute by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksYou May LikeMoneyPailShe Was A Star, Now She Works In ScottsdaleMoneyPailUndoMaternity WeekA Letter From The Devil Written By A Possessed Nun In 1676 Has Been TranslatedMaternity WeekUndoPost FunKate & Meghan Are Very Different Mothers, These Photos Prove ItPost FunUndoInvestment GuruRemember Cote De Pablo? Take A Deep Breath Before You See Her NowInvestment GuruUndoComedyAbandoned Submarines Floating Around the WorldComedyUndoEquity MirrorThey Drained Niagara Falls — They Weren’t Prepared For This Sickening DiscoveryEquity MirrorUndoOpulent ExpressHer Quadruplets Were Born Without A Hitch. Then Doctors Realized SomethingOpulent ExpressUndoLearn It WiseAfter Losing 70lbs Susan Boyle Is So Skinny Now She Looks Like A ModelLearn It WiseUndoLoan Insurance WealthGrab A Tissue Before You See Richard Simmons At 72Loan Insurance WealthUndocenter_img What a catch! Investors splash out on fish tackle float Express KCS More From Our Partners Native American Tribe Gets Back Sacred Island Taken 160 Years Agogoodnewsnetwork.orgInstitutional Investors Turn To Options to Bet Against AMCvaluewalk.comBrave 7-Year-old Boy Swims an Hour to Rescue His Dad and Little Sistergoodnewsnetwork.orgWhite House Again Downplays Fourth Possible Coronvirus Checkvaluewalk.comInside Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis’ not-so-average farmhouse estatenypost.comRussell Wilson, AOC among many voicing support for Naomi Osakacbsnews.comKiller drone ‘hunted down a human target’ without being told tonypost.comPolice Capture Elusive Tiger Poacher After 20 Years of Pursuing the Huntergoodnewsnetwork.orgAstounding Fossil Discovery in California After Man Looks Tags: NULLlast_img read more

St. Matthew’s House to hold 8 food distributions this week

first_imgAdvertisement AdvertisementRecommended ArticlesBrie Larson Reportedly Replacing Robert Downey Jr. As The Face Of The MCURead more81 commentsGal Gadot Reportedly Being Recast As Wonder Woman For The FlashRead more29 comments RELATEDTOPICS Hungry? St. Matthew’s House is giving away food in SWFL today June 3, 2021 Advertisement Warehouse to help St. Matthew’s House better serve SWFL residents in need May 11, 2021 St. Matthew’s House, in partnership with the Harry Chapin Food Bank, is holding eight food distributions this week, including two on Monday. Food distributions include: Monday April 19: St. Elizabeth Church 5225 28th Ave SW Naples, FL 34116 10:30AM – 12:30PM – Walk Ups WelcomedMonday April 19: Naples Alliance Church 2504 Estey Ave. Naples, FL 34104 10:30AM – 12PM – Walk Ups WelcomedTuesday April 20: Fairway Bible Church 3855 The Lords Way Naples, FL 34114 1PM – 2PMWednesday April 21: Immokalee Friendship House 602 W Main St Immokalee, FL 34142 10:30AM – 12:30PM – Walk Ups WelcomedThursday April 22: Center Point Community Church 6590 Golden Gate Pkwy Naples, FL 34105 10AM – 12PMThursday April 22: Iglesia Pueblo de Dios Church 4400 Tamiami Trail E Naples, FL 34112 10AM – 12PMThursday April 22: First Haitian Baptist Church 14600 Tamiami Trail E Naples, FL 34114 1PM – 3PMThursday April 22: Mount Olive AME Church 2754 Orange St Fort Myers, FL 33916 2PM – 6PMSt. Matthew’s House has reportedly fed nearly 7,000 families in April so far and more than 51,000 families in 2021. A spokesperson for the organization said they are on pace to feed 180,000 families this year.center_img AdvertisementTags: St. Matthew’s House Advertisement AdvertisementDC Young Fly knocks out heckler (video) – Rolling OutRead more6 comments’Mortal Kombat’ Exceeded Expectations Says WarnerMedia ExecutiveRead more2 commentsDo You Remember Bob’s Big Boy?Read more1 commentsKISS Front Man Paul Stanley Reveals This Is The End Of KISS As A Touring Band, For RealRead more1 comments Where to get free food in SWFL this week June 15, 2021 Where to get free food in SWFL April 26 – 29 April 26, 2021last_img read more

Newpark Hotel Wedding Showcase Afternoon on Sunday, September 15

first_img Facebook Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR GAA Twitter Previous articleIn Pictures: Annual Laois GAA Golf Classic a huge successNext articleLive music, free entry and late bar – Manhattan Mixer host Little Picnic this weekend as festival vibe continues LaoisToday Reporter By LaoisToday Reporter – 5th September 2019 2020 U-15 ‘B’ glory for Ballyroan-Abbey following six point win over Killeshin TAGSKilkennyNewpark Hotel GAA GAA WhatsApp The luxurious 4-star Newpark Hotel in Kilkenny will hold a Wedding Showcase Afternoon on Sunday, September 15, from 2pm to 5pm.The hotel set on 40 acres of parkland, provides an idyllic setting for weddings. With over 50 years’ experience in the wedding industry, this event is a fantastic opportunity for newlyweds to get an exclusive look into a Newpark Hotel wedding.Newpark Hotel have a dedicated wedding team who work to create wedding packages for all tastes and budgets and can tailor wedding package to suit the needs and requirements of every couple.On the day Newpark Hotel’s culinary team will be offering their expert advice to foodie couples to plan a wedding meal to remember.Couples will be introduced to the hotel’s carefully chosen bridal suppliers including the best bakers, florists, photographers and bridal wear stylists, with lots of local wedding specialists exhibiting on the day.“The whole team in Newpark Hotel are looking forward to meeting all newly engaged couples at our Wedding Showcase Afternoon,” say the hotel.“We take huge pride in helping couples create their vision for their wedding day. Newpark Hotel is a unique location where everything is possible, from small intimate gathering to larger events for up to 320 guests.“On the day, we will also introduce couples to the best wedding suppliers in the industry.”All newly-engaged couples will be in with a chance to WIN a one-night stay in one of Newpark Hotel’s luxurious Balcony Suites. Newpark Hotel hosts beautiful Civil Ceremonies and there are many churches nearby. To arrange an appointment with Newpark Hotel’s wedding team please contact Sinéad [email protected] 056-7760593.SEE ALSO – Check out the Newpark Hotel website here Home Sponsored Newpark Hotel Wedding Showcase Afternoon on Sunday, September 15 Sponsored Newpark Hotel Wedding Showcase Afternoon on Sunday, September 15 Kelly and Farrell lead the way as St Joseph’s claim 2020 U-15 glory Here are all of Wednesday’s Laois GAA results Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Pinterestlast_img read more

Laois woman thanks nurses, doctors, family and friends as she wins 49-day hospital battle with Covid-19

first_img Anna, Anne, Emma and Jim Kavanagh A Laois woman who spent 49 days in hospital fighting Coronavirus has praised the doctors and nurses in both Portlaoise and St James’ Hospitals for ‘saving her life’.Stradbally native Anne Kavanagh came home from hospital two weeks ago to a heroes welcome as members of the community lined the streets to welcome her back.And speaking from her sitting room, alongside her husband Jim and daughters Emma and Anna, Anne says that she will never be able to repay the healthcare workers for saving her life.Almost every organ in Anne’s body failed as the Coronavirus attacked her system that had already been badly weakened by a heart attack in June of last year.And in her darkest hour, Mrs Kavanagh, who recently retired from Laois County Council, feared she would never see her family again.She said: “A nurse who was in the ICU in Portlaoise with me in the early days told me that I asked her, ‘am I going to die?’ And she said that she didn’t know what to say because she knew deep down that there was a fair chance that I wasn’t going to survive.“And she said that the last words I spoke before I went into a coma was ‘tell Jim and the girls that I love them’.“I’d be in a very different place if it wasn’t for the great care of the doctors, nurses and the power of God. And the prayers and masses offered by family, friends and the wonderful community of Stradbally and the surrounding areas. Facebook News Facebook Pinterest Electric Picnic WhatsApp Electric Picnic By Alan Hartnett – 4th June 2020 TAGSAnne KavanaghCoronavirusCovid-19St James’s HospitalStradbally RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Home News Laois woman thanks nurses, doctors, family and friends as she wins 49-day… Newscenter_img “I’m very lucky to be here. It would be an outrageous act if any minister or the HSE even considered the downgrading or closure of Portlaoise Hospital.“That’s twice in the space of a year that Portlaoise Hospital has saved my life. I had a heart attack on June 1 2019 and was taken care of in the Coronary Care Unit in Portlaoise until being transferred to the Mater Private for a Triple Bypass. Again, the care I received in Portlaoise was outstanding.“If that hospital ever closes, I don’t know what we will do. The nurses, the doctors – all of the staff are incredible. Dr Jay Sharma in particular who could not do anymore for me.“The nurses and doctors in Portlaoise and St James’ too were incredible to me. I will be eternally grateful for everything that they have done for me.“And my own doctor Michelle Byrne and everyone in the Maryborough Clinic. Dr Byrne wasted no time in sending me forward to hospital when I needed it.”Anne Kavanagh with her husband Jim and daughters Anna and Emma as she leaves Portlaoise Hospital todayAnne initially felt unwell at the end of March as both she, and husband Jim, had symptoms of Covid-19.Jim, 14 days after he received a test, would eventually test positive and he battled the virus from home, spending three days in bed, while daughter Emma tested negative.Anne explained: “It started with Jim having a cough for a few days. I said to him ‘I don’t like the sound of that cough, you hardly have the Covid’ – jokingly.“When talk of Coronavirus began, I said to them here that if that disease comes to Ireland, I won’t be putting my foot outside of the door.“I told them I am locking the gate so nobody can come in because I couldn’t afford to get that after the heart operation last year and Jim couldn’t afford to get it because of his heart complaints.“So I said ‘there is nobody coming in and nobody going out’ – famous last words. I don’t know how we got it. The last time I left the house was the first day Ireland had a case – February 29, the night of the St Colman’s NS Lip Sync Battle in the Midlands Park Hotel.“I had a sore throat initially but that is all I had. So I told Jim to ring the doctor and look for a test and that I would do the same – and when I rang my doctor, Emma began to cough and the doctor heard it and said she would send her for a test too because she reckoned that was very suspect.”But back in March, Ireland was grappling with crippling demand for tests and as the Kavanaghs waited for their tests – Anne’s symptoms worsened.On March 31, Anne and Emma were called for a test. Anne now had a sore throat, a cough and a pain in her back.After having the test and while waiting for the result, Anne’s temperature spiked to 39 degrees and she became breathless.On April 3, Anne continued to become sicker so daughter Anna brought her to A&E in Portlaoise on the request of Dr Michelle Byrne.Jim and Anne Kavanagh with their daughters Anna and Emma at the Nerney Clan Gathering in The Gandon Inn in 2011Picture: Alf Harvey.Anne said: “I went in and was examined. They said I had a chest infection and I said to myself ‘thank God that it isn’t the Covid. They’ll give me a few tablets and I’ll be on my way’.“But they did a chest x-ray and they said that I had pneumonia. And the last thing that I really remember then is ringing Anna and telling her to go get my things because they were keeping me in for the night.“I really don’t remember much after that. They put me on a nebuliser and I was in a room for two days before being moved to intensive care on Sunday April 5.“I got the result of my initial test at that time and it was negative. Emma’s was negative while Jim’s was positive. But two days later, the hospital did their own test and I was now positive.“But then things began to deteriorate. I was now on a ventilator as my lungs had started to go and other organs began to come under severe pressure while my heart wasn’t functioning properly so my blood pressure wouldn’t come up.“Because my kidneys weren’t working, they transferred me to St James’ on April 9 for dialysis – but of course I don’t remember any of this.”Anne would spend 20 days on a ventilator and 15 days with continuous dialysis while she was in a coma.She would lie on her stomach for 16 hours each day and then spend the remaining eight hours on her back as the nurses and doctors tried to help her body to fight off the virus.Eventually, Anne was weaned off the ventilator and she experienced horrific hallucinations as she came down off the medication after waking up on April 26.Doctors carried out brain scans on Anne as they feared she may have suffered a stroke or a brain hemorrhage while in the coma – such was the level of her confusion after she regained consciousness.She said: “The first thing that I really remember is a care assistant giving me a yogurt – that was in St James’.“I had awful nightmares. I was being held captive, hitting people with saucepans, had people trying to do all kinds of awful things, fish eating my flesh – just dreadful things.“I had to have physiotherapy, speech and language therapy and see psychiatrists as I was diagnosed with ICU delirium – which was the cause of all the nightmares and confusion.“I remember one of the days of the dialysis and I didn’t like that but thankfully my kidneys recovered and as I got stronger, I was allowed to return to Portlaoise Hospital.“So I had left the house on April 3 to go to Portlaoise Hospital with what I thought was a chest infection and now I was getting to go back there on May 15.“I was now on a walking aid and Dr Jay Sharma explained to me what had happened, how all my organs had failed and how I had ended up in Dublin – he is a brilliant man.“I had a problem with my swallow too so Dr Sharma told me when that was sorted and I could manage on a walking stick that I could go home.”Jim, Anne, Emma and Anna Kavanagh at the Laois Hunt Point to Point at Stradbally Hall in 2008Picture: Alf Harvey.On May 19, Anne was well enough to be let home and she recalled the emotional experience of finally leaving the hospital and coming home.Anne said: “I was wheeled down the corridor and the doctors and nurses lined it to clap me off. Then, to get down to the door and see the three of them standing there – it was incredible.“A number of the nurses had said to me that they never thought they would see me back in the hospital when they sent me to Dublin weeks earlier.“And then when I got back to Stradbally, that was just breathtaking. To see all of the people lining the street – it was unbelievable. People like Marian McMahon who is in hers 80’s and she was there in her wheelchair on the side of the road, clapping me home.“Our friends and neighbours were all so good. Fr Sean Kelly, Fr Ger Breen, Fr Dan Dunne and Fr Sean Maher. People prayed for me so much. I am so lucky to live in a great community and have great friends, neighbours and former work colleagues in the Council.“And my family, the Kavanaghs and the Booths – they couldn’t do more for the girls and Jim. The stories I have heard about things that people did to help them while I was away are incredible.“I want to thank Ross Molloy and Nathan Harrison who sent me songs. Ross sent me a concert of Fr Liam Lawton that he had and you have no idea what that meant to me.“Everyone was just so good and you couldn’t believe how people rally around when somebody is in trouble. We will never forget all of the incredibly kind gestures.“So many people brought dinners over here, rang, sent text messages and kept my family going while I was in hospital.”Anne and Jim will be married 24 years in October and, looking back now, husband Jim says that by far the hardest thing about the whole ordeal was being separated from his wife for seven weeks.Jim said: “By far the toughest thing for us was not being able to see her. Anne was so critically ill and we couldn’t see her which was very difficult.“After about four weeks, we saw her on a phone when she was exceptionally weak and that was very tough. Anna tried really hard to see was there anyway we could see her for even one minute – but it just wasn’t possible because it wasn’t safe.“It is a hard thing when people can’t see their loved ones in hospital. You take the word of the health professionals, who I couldn’t speak highly enough of, but if you can see them yourself – it just reassures you that bit more.“Anne went into hospital on April 3 and we were expecting her to come home that day – so that was really hard.“I would have nothing but the height of praise for Portlaoise Hospital and St James’ but I hope that we never end up in that position again.“This virus is still with us and people have to be very careful.”Daughters Emma and Anna were full of praise for the staff in both Portlaoise and St James’ Hospital.They said: “The doctors were brilliant with us. St James’ set up a community liaison doctor and she rang us every single day with updates on how mam was getting on.“Even when mam came out of ICU, she continued to ring us everyday to see how we were getting on and how we were coping.“We sent cards and letters to mam and the nurses in ICU would read them out and then hold her hand and brush her hair. Everyday, someone would read from Fr Kelly’s parish prayer leaflet to her.“Our GP Dr Michelle Byrne rang regularly and so did Dr Sharma in Portlaoise. If we wanted to know anything – all we had to do was ring up and we would be told. They were incredible.”At home in Garrons, Anne is on the road to recovery and while she has suffered some panic attacks and still has a shortness of breath at times – she says the girls and Jim are brilliant at helping her through those moments.She has seven weeks of her life to catch up on – plenty of Fair City and Coronation Street to watch.Like Anne, Ireland is beginning to recover from Coronavirus and the country is scheduled to enter Phase 2 of the Roadmap on Monday June 8.And she is urging everyone to continue to follow the advice of the government as she hopes that no family has to go through what hers did during her battle.She said: “Although the number of new cases and deaths has dropped in recent weeks, it does not mean that Coronavirus has gone away.“I would appeal to everyone to follow the guidelines as outlined by the government to ensure the safety of all citizens.“I would never again like to see anyone go through the seven weeks of worry and torment that my family and I went through.”If anyone would like to tell their Covid-19 story, get in touch with us via email on [email protected] ALSO – An open letter from LaoisToday: Think local, support local and #LoveLaois as businesses open their doors againSEE ALSO – Talking Sport: Paul Cahillane on Celtic, Portlaoise, Ireland, Laois and Roy Keane WhatsApp Pinterest Previous articleThe story of a Laois man, a future Man United flop and a wet night in WaterfordNext articleBreslin’s SuperValu Rathdowney launch new online shopping service Alan HartnettStradbally native Alan Hartnett is a graduate of Knockbeg College who has worked in the local and national media since 2008. Alan has a BA in Economics, Politics and Law and an MA in Journalism from DCU. His happiest moment was when Jody Dillon scored THAT goal in the Laois senior football final in 2016. Twitter Bizarre situation as Ben Brennan breaks up Fianna Fáil-Fine Gael arrangement to take Graiguecullen-Portarlington vice-chair role Twitter Laois woman thanks nurses, doctors, family and friends as she wins 49-day hospital battle with Covid-19 Laois Councillor ‘amazed’ at Electric Picnic decision to apply for later date for 2021 festival Electric Picnic organisers release statement following confirmation of new festival datelast_img read more

Road Improvement Work Continue in Portmore

first_imgAdvertisements RelatedRoad Improvement Work Continue in Portmore RelatedRoad Improvement Work Continue in Portmore Road Improvement Work Continue in Portmore UncategorizedSeptember 1, 2006center_img RelatedRoad Improvement Work Continue in Portmore FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail The National Road Operating and Construction Company (NROCC) and the National Works Agency (NWA) will be continuing improvement works on Port Henderson Road and Passagefort Drive in Portmore, to ensure the smooth flow of traffic for the new school year.Minister of Housing Transport, Water and Works, Robert Pickersgill, speaking at a press conference held at his Maxfield Avenue offices on Wednesday (Aug. 31), said that the upgrading of the Port Henderson Road was advanced and should be completed within the next two to three weeks.“The condition of the road at present is vastly improved over its previous state with black top having been applied as well as regulating surface. Drainage has been improved on both sides of the road, ” he informed.He said further, that Passagefort Drive was being widened from two to four lanes and work should be completed before the middle of December 2006.Mr. Pickersgill assured that “there is however no deterrent to the smooth flow of traffic as two lanes of traffic remain open and available at all times”.last_img read more

One family, three Cases of COVID-19, with three different manifestations of the virus

first_imgOne family, three Cases of COVID-19, with three different manifestations of the virusPosted by John LeyDate: Thursday, October 15, 2020in: Healthshare 0 Hydroxychloroquine: ‘It’s a miracle’Meet Moses Turkov. He’s an athletic, energetic 20-year-old who will graduate from Washington State University Vancouver in one more semester with a degree in history.Last March, he was the first in his family to get COVID-19. Ultimately, his mom and dad also got COVID-19, but all three had very different experiences.The Turkov family each experienced COVID-19 in very different ways. For the 20-year-old son, it wasn’t a big deal. For mom, it was three days of fever and feeling weak and out of breath. But for Tim, the dad, it was 12 long days of no improvements until he took hydroxychloroquine. Photo by John LeyThe Turkov family each experienced COVID-19 in very different ways. For the 20-year-old son, it wasn’t a big deal. For mom, it was three days of fever and feeling weak and out of breath. But for Tim, the dad, it was 12 long days of no improvements until he took hydroxychloroquine. Photo by John LeyOn March 3 or 4, Moses got sick, according to Yelena Turkov, his mom. He was sick for two days and then rapidly improved. He had sweats for a day or so and also lost his sense of smell.“That was that was one of weirdest things I’ve ever experienced; literally not being able to smell anything for at least a month after that,” said Moses..”And then severe body aches. But that was definitely only for the one day.” Moses explained that he had a general achiness for a week or so. “I felt as if I had worked out really hard at the gym,” he said. “Overall, it was pretty insignificant for me.”He never was tested for the virus. Yelena said “I never even thought of COVID” at the time.Yelena is a dental hygienist and continued to work, since this was early in the pandemic and before the lockdown. There was a lot people who didn’t know or understand in early March.On Sun., March 8, the family went to church. Yelena and husband Tim sang a duet for the church. “When we started singing, I didn’t feel like I had enough breath,” said Yelena. ”In the middle of the line, I didn’t have any breath left.” She felt very weak after church so went home and took a nap. The next morning her body was very achy.and she felt very weak. Her boss told her to stay home.after hearing about Yelena’s symptoms.“I was a little bit feverish for three days, and lost my sense of smell,” she said. .”I stayed home and took ibuprofen.” Tim got sick while Yelena was sick. He too started getting a fever. After Yelena’s fever broke and she recovered (other than the sense of smell), her boss told her to go to the doctor and get a COVID-19 test. She and Tim went to an urgent care clinic, but the clinic staff members didn’t want to give them a test. The doctors were hearing all the stories of not enough tests, and expecting thousands of people coming down with symptoms and needing to be tested.Yelena and Tim persisted and were tested. It took 10 days for the results to come back, confirming that they both had COVID-19.Yelena and Tim Turkov got COVID-19. For Yelena, it was three days until she felt better. For Tim, it was a very rough 12 days, until he took hydroxychloroquine. Photo John LeyYelena and Tim Turkov got COVID-19. For Yelena, it was three days until she felt better. For Tim, it was a very rough 12 days, until he took hydroxychloroquine. Photo John LeyTim got very weak.and lost his appetite. After six days of illness, he started having a really bad cough. Yelena described it as “a wheezing noise after he takes a breath.” He got extremely nauseous and wanted to go to the hospital. Initially, a physician’s assistant from their church came by and listened to TIm’s lungs. He said they sounded normal, in spite of TIm’s wheezing. Tim wasn’t sleeping well, and would wake up in the middle of the night with a very bad case of the chills. He also had bad coughing spells. He finally said he was going to the hospital.He was admitted for observation initially. Test results indicated he had pneumonia. Tim was put on Zithromax and cough medicine. A short time later, another doctor came in and said they were sending Tim home. Apparently, concerns about a large wave of COVID patients that would cause the doctors to keep hospital beds open. Tim was in the hospital for roughly five hours.At home, Tim’s symptoms got worse. Yelena worried because you usually see improvement within two or three days of taking antibiotics.On the fifth day of taking the Zithromax, Tim continued to get worse. “He could not open his eyes,” said Yelena. “He could not lift his head up to take medications.”They took Tim back to the hospital, but the staff didn’t want to admit him. Yelena protested. Tim was in a wheelchair and could not keep his head up. But the staff said “there’s no treatment.” This was around March 15.The hospital was empty. “There were no people in the waiting room,” said Yelena. “They were waiting for a big wave (of COVID) to come.” Tim was sent back home.After some soul searching and prayers, Yelena began searching the internet. She came across a doctor she knew who spoke glowingly about Hydroxychloroquine. They arranged a teleconference consultation and Tim was prescribed Hydroxychloroquine.“I didn’t think we had COVID yet, because we didn’t have the test results,” said Yelena. But the doctor assured her it was safe for Tim to take the medication, so he did.Tim took his first pill early in the evening. He slept through the night for the first time in 12 days. On the second day after taking Hydroxychloroquine, Tim felt good enough to take a shower. On the morning of the third day, Tim came downstairs for breakfast. “It was just a miracle!” Yelena said.The churchBack at the church, others were getting sick. Apparently, a week or two before the Turkov’s got sick, the church had hosted a conference. Pastors from around the world attended. Church members hosted the guests in their homes. The Turkov’s did as well.Yelena thinks that there were about four or five people from the church who got sick before Moses did.Later on, there was a group of about 25 people from the church who became ill. But word had spread about the “miracle” of Tim’s recovery and the fact that the entire Turkov family had been sick. The Turkov’s phone began ringing. They listened, they researched, and ultimately acted as a go-between for the doctor.Doctors were mainly doing telemedicine at this point, so the Turkov’s assisted in collecting information and sharing it with the doctor who had treated Tim. He then arranged the zoom telemedicine conference with each patient.Ultimately, about 40 people from the church came down with COVID-19 like symptoms. The doctor prescribed antibiotics and Hydroxychloroquine. The Turkov’s believe the doctor stopped the further spread of COVID with his treatments.Tim is a man of few words. He lost a lot of weight and he too lost his sense of smell for a long time. But today he says he feels better than before he got sick. Yelena chimed in that it took Tim two months to be able to get back to work. Moses Turkov was the first family member to get COVID-19. Photo John LeyMoses Turkov was the first family member to get COVID-19. Photo John LeyThe Turkov’s didn’t know for sure where Moses initially contacted COVID. The grandparents of a good friend got the virus, so that was one possibility. School could be another possibility, but he doesn’t think so. WSU Vancouver was still open until after Moses had recovered. Or it could have been through the church pastor’s conference.In the end, they feel blessed to have cared for each other and to have recovered. They saw “the miracle” of Hydroxychloroquine and Zithromax. They feel privileged to have shared what they learned with the members of their church. And for Moses, he looks forward to graduating from WSU Vancouver in one semester. He plans to continue at WSU and get his Master’s degree in History. He loves history, and hopes to become a teacher, sharing that passion with his students.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textTags:Clark CountyCovid-19LatestVancouvershare 0 Previous : Ridgefield growth and development continues in spite of economic woes caused by COVID-19 pandemic Next : Local lawmakers react to Supreme Court ruling on $30 car tabs initiativeAdvertisementThis is placeholder textlast_img read more

From the Provost and SVC: Q&A on the new student employment policy

first_imgShare Share via TwitterShare via FacebookShare via LinkedInShare via E-mail Published: Nov. 13, 2014 At the beginning of October, our campus introduced a new policy that limits hourly student employees to a maximum of 25 hours per week (or 50 hours per bi-weekly pay period) during the academic year. Since that time, our offices have received many questions from students and the campus departments that employ these students. Below, please see some frequently asked questions and our answers. We hope this will provide a better understanding to students, faculty and staff on how this policy works and why it was enacted. Please see the full policy here.Why are you limiting the number of hours that students can work for on-campus departments? Is it related to student success or potential impacts from the Affordable Care Act?It’s both. For several decades, CU-Boulder has limited this work to 20 hours per week for graduate students. This has been in place to help ensure that students’ No. 1 priority is their academic success – and not on working close to full-time hours. In hindsight, we should have had a similar provision for undergraduate students, as many of our peer and Pac-12 universities do. A review of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) gave us the opportunity to consider this policy with respect to the campus goal of achieving greater academic success as it relates to a student’s persistence and ultimately their graduation.Furthermore, on Jan. 1, 2015, the Employer Shared Responsibility provisions of the Affordable Care Act take effect. Due to the variability in hours that students work, it’s difficult to gauge exactly how many student employees would end up being eligible for health insurance under ACA and/or the potential costs to fund this expense. But it could be anywhere from zero (if no students opted for this health coverage) to well over $1 million per year. That’s not an expense we’re prepared to absorb and we don’t want to raise tuition to meet that obligation.Why can’t exceptions be made for students who can manage their work schedules and still succeed academically?Unfortunately, we can’t do that. We appreciate that a select number of high-achieving students can balance a nearly full-time workload and full-time class schedule. But multiple studies have shown that such a workload is detrimental to academic performance. With that said, studies show that part-time employment and the associated time management skills can improve academic performance. We’re supportive of that. But working more than 25 hours per week can decrease one’s GPA and lower the quality of one’s academic experience. We want to see students succeed, and it’s very important that the campus increase its retention and graduation rates.Can you be flexible if students exceed 50 hours some time but also are under 50 hours other times?That becomes quite difficult to manage, especially if students work for multiple campus departments. We know that the majority of our students do not enroll in the summer session. This is often a key time for our students to work full-time and save for expenses in the upcoming year. We want that to continue. Our policy allows students to work 40 hours per week in the summer and 25 hours per week during the academic year – a combination that allows students to make substantial academic progress and earn substantial support for their education without the university having an obligation to offer health insurance.Since all students are required to have health insurance, why would the university have to pay for “new” health insurance under ACA?The Affordable Care Act contains two types of mandates: an individual mandate and an employer mandate. The health care coverage that students have – through the Wardenburg Health Center, their parents’ health insurance policies or other means – satisfies the individual mandate.  It does not, however, relieve the university, as an employer, from having to offer health insurance to eligible employees. Thus, student-employees would have to be offered the same health care packages as our full-time employees. Additionally, any eligible student-employee who is offered employer-provided health insurance but does not respond to the offer must automatically be enrolled in the employer-provided health insurance plan.How do other peer universities in the Pac-12 handle this?We’re certainly not alone in limiting student-employee work hours for campus jobs. Arizona, Arizona State and Oregon all have 25-hour/week limits on student employment during the academic year – just like CU-Boulder. Some other Pac-12 schools – Oregon State, Washington and Washington State – are more restrictive and cap hours at 19.5 to 20 hours per week.Without working more than 25 hours per week, I won’t be able to afford to attend CU-Boulder anymore. What can the university do to help me?For those students experiencing true financial hardship as a result of the policy, the Financial Aid Office is available to assist, beginning with a review of the student’s budget and financial aid status to see if there are additional financial aid options available to assist the student in covering his or her educational costs during this transition period. For more details, please contact the Student Employment Office at, [email protected], 303-492-7349 or at Regent Administrative Center, Room 205. Why was this policy launched so close to the beginning of the year without providing advance notice to students?We regret that we did not provide more advance notice. And to the extent that this has caused confusion and hardship for students, we apologize. The campus has been working on the policy since late spring. We had hoped for an earlier effective date, but it took time to work out the details of both the policy and the process. We are asking departments to make a good-faith effort to comply with the policy knowing that it will take some period of time for departments to change staffing models and hire and train new students.The policy allows for business case exceptions for employers. We also know that this has an impact on a select group of students and we are asking them to also make a good-faith effort to comply within a reasonable period of time. We have sent a communication to students who have recently worked more than 50 hours in a pay period and offered to help them determine if other financial aid options are available to them.Kelly Fox, Senior Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial OfficerRuss Moore, Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairslast_img read more

Goa govt setting up two testing centres for ship crew

first_img WHO tri-regional policy dialogue seeks solutions to challenges facing international mobility of health professionals COVID-19GoaPramod SawantUnion Ministry of Home Affairs Read Article Goa govt setting up two testing centres for ship crew Comments (0) News Public Health Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals releases first “Comprehensive Textbook of COVID-19” The missing informal workers in India’s vaccine story Heartfulness group of organisations launches ‘Healthcare by Heartfulness’ COVID care app Add Comment Share Phoenix Business Consulting invests in telehealth platform Healpha The health department intends to complete the testing within 24 hours and the crew shall remain on the ship till the results of the tests comeThe Goa government is setting up two facilities to conduct COVID-19 testing for crew members from the state disembarking from ships in Mumbai.Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant had said that “sign-off of (Goan) seafarers on Marella has started at Mumbai port.”“Karnika vessel is on anchorage and Angriya vessel is docked. Goan seafarers will be tested at Mumbai port after which they will be brought to Goa in accordance with the protocol/SOP of the GOI,” Sawant had tweeted The Union government has drawn guidelines for the people who are stranded on ships due to the COVID-19 outbreak globally.During the Goa governments state executive committee meeting held on Thursday, State Health Secretary Nila Mohanan said that Goa had not yet faced any community transmission.As per the Standard Operating Procedure issued by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), the Health department is setting up a testing facility at Mormugao Port Trust (MPT) for those who were working on the ships, she said.“Another facility is to be created at Pattradevi Check Post in North Goa for those who might come by road from Mumbai,” she said.The health department intends to complete the testing within 24 hours and the crew shall remain on the ship till the results of the tests come.“If tested negative, they should be shifted to an institutional quarantine facility for 14 days, and if tested positive, they should be shifted to COVID-19 Hospital,” Mohanan said.She also said that the state Cabinet has decided that the payment for their lodging and food at the institutional quarantine should be made by the employer company.In the first stage, four kiosks would be put up at MPT, the official said.“After taking the sample by swab, the testing will be done at a testing facility at Bicholim, which is being set up right now,” she said.The Union government has also lauded Goa for being the first state to train and utilise the services of Ayush doctors for COVID-19 related duties, she added.COVID-19, Goa, Union Ministry of Home Affairs, Pramod Sawant Related Posts Menopause to become the next game-changer in global femtech solutions industry by 2025 By EH News Bureau on April 24, 2020 MaxiVision Eye Hospitals launches “Mucormycosis Early Detection Centre”last_img read more